City of Heroes: Victory

The Base Builders Guide to Insanity

Michiyo

The Base Builders Guide to Insanity

Warnings for those who dare dip a toe in these waters:

• Prepare to be overwhelmed but don't worry, that feeling fades quickly with a little determination.
  • Hydrate, stretch, remember to eat, maybe at least grunt at your loved ones and in game friends so they know you are alive.
  • Sleep is for the weak but it is also a necessary evil.  There is no such thing as "I'll just place one more tile and then go to bed."

Take this. It may help you on your quest.

The Cheat Sheet:

The Slash commands:

• /edit_base [1/0] – Turn base editing on or off. 1 = on, 0 = off
  • /grid_snap [value] – Set item placement grid to [value] degrees. Default grid = 1
  • /angle_snap [value] – Set rotation value to [value] degrees. Default snap = 5
  • /room_clip [1/0] – 0 = In parent room, 1 = no constraints
  • /find “[item]” – Find items with identifier
  • /find “” – Turn search window off and return to item tabs
  • /see_everything [1/0] – See the boundary boxes for everything in the base. 1 = on, 0 = off
  • /stuck - To get back to the base portal
  • /sg_passcode  “[word]” – Set the base passcode to [word]-
    • /base_default_sky - Set the default sky setting to one of 15 preset values:

1 = Praetoria

2 = Atlas Park

3 = Boomtown

4 = Grandville

5 = Cimerora

6 = Night Ward

7 = Shadow Shard

8 = Storm Palace

9 = Dense Fog

10 = Rikti Invasion

11 = Zombie Apocalypse

12 = Praetorian Invasion

13 = Lighted Paths

14 = Shadowed Paths

15 = Spaaaaaaaaaaaaace

Keys:

• Shift – Hold for vertical movement
    • Ctrl – Hold for horizontal movement
    • Alt – Hold for spin
    • Shift + Alt or Ctrl – hold for 360 spin
    • F1 – Cycle through grid sizes
    • F2 – Cycle through snap angle degrees
    • F3 – Enable or Disable room clipping
    • F5 – Cycle through anchor points (floor, wall, ceiling, surface)
    • Shift + Tab – Cycle through visible items
    • Ctrl + z - Undo

So where the heck do you start?  At City Hall of course.  Go create yourself a Super Group.

Now that that's done you have a few options.  You can begin building right away, create a base with rooms and hallways just like on live.  Or if you dislike the single doorways you can now place doorways side by side and open up one room to another.  And you can now place items in doorways.  (Which works but sometimes items can be a bit cranky about being forced out of a room and they might not behave exactly as you wish they would.)

What does it mean to build outside the base?  It means exactly that.  By pressing F3 you make "Room Clipping Enabled" and with that you can build above up to a height of 900 or a low of -2,000 but you still have to stay close to the lateral edges of the base plot.

Has the item limit changed?  Nope.  That is hard coded into the base editor but Leo may have found a way around it... Stay tuned...

So if I can build outside the plot why would I ever want to build inside?  The advantage to building inside the plot is you can use the walls and lighting.  Lighting outside will someday be fixed but it is a ways off yet, so until then you'll need to use items from the lighting tab.

What if I want to build inside and outside?  You can!  Leo has added in base beacons and teleport points.  Simply place the teleporter of your choice and a beacon (or 9) Then go to the place you'd like the teleporter to take you and place the necessary teleport point.

What about sounds and music?  We don't yet have ambient sounds you can place like you do items but you can change the way it sounds in your base.  There is a catalog of things or you can place your own music.  Just be aware that only people you have shared the sound file with will be able to hear it.

Is there a limit to the number of bases I can have?  Nope.  Go crazy.  Build your little heart out.

I'm sure there are many more things I'm forgetting so feel free to ask.  And there of course will be updates and new toys for us crazy base builders.